Rationalise the choice of symmetric and asymmetric encryption algorithms
Explain how a symmetric key can be shared across a network using asymmetric encryption
Describe the purpose of a public shared key
Identify the weaknesses of symmetric and asymmetric encryption algorithms
Last week we looked at Intrusion Detection Systems, can you explain the difference between an IDS and a IPS?
An intrusion detection system copies all traffic on its network and scans it for suspicious behaviour using a signature match and anomaly detection, and notifies the administrator.
The intrusion prevention system intervenes the traffic on its network and stops any traffic that violates the signature or anomaly rules.
What is a low interaction honeypot?
Low Interaction Honeypots allow only limited interaction for an attacker or malware. All services offered by a Low Interaction Honeypots are emulated. Thus Low Interaction Honeypots are not themselves vulnerable and will not become infected by the exploit attempted against the emulated vulnerability.
Cryptography is about encrypting and decrypting data. With encryption, you take a piece of plain text (regular text that’s human readable) and then run an algorithm over it. The resulting data looks like a random byte sequence, often called ciphertext. Decryption is the opposite process: The byte sequence is transformed into the original plain text data. In cryptography, you can keep your algorithm secret, or you can use a public algorithm and keep your key secret.
Frequency analysis broke the Ceaser Cipher and lead mathematicians to study the unique properties of primary numbers using modular arithmetic.
Choosing an algorithm - ties into the next assignment.
Now that you have identified and discussed the ways in which a network can be targeted it is your job to explain the methods that can be used to defend Cyberdyne network systems. Create a blog page and explain how the following methods can help or how they can be protected.
Guidance for the network attacks or breaches task.
The Distinction criteria for this piece of work should be approximately 3 pages long. Below are a list of things that need to be included in the distinction criteria.
1. The network breaches or data thefts need to have been within the last 3 years.
2. You must include who was responsible for the attack (for example if it was anonymous discuss who they are and what they stand for)
3. Why the attack took place
4. What data if any was stolen
5. What happened to the company afterwards
6. What did the company do for those people affected
7. Did the companies give any advice
8. Did it make the national news
9. What was the political fall out of the attack (for example Sony suffered huge losses of reputation and money)
10. Use multiple sources for your information and detail which sites information you have discussed. This must be a well thought out and well discussed piece of work. I look forward to seeing your discussions.